Annual Alliance Report 2015-2016
THE OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH ADMINISTRATION (OSHA)
THE NATIONAL SERVICE, TRANSMISSION, EXPLORATION & PRODUCTION SAFETY (STEPS) NETWORK
NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR OCCUPATIONAL SAFETY AND HEALTH (NIOSH)
I. Alliance Background
A. Date Signed
December 2, 2014
B. Evaluation Period
December 2, 2015 to December 1, 2016.
Through the Alliance, OSHA, the National STEPS Network, and NIOSH will work together to prevent fatalities, injuries, and illnesses in the U.S. onshore exploration and production sector of the oil and gas industry.
D. Implementation Team Members
- David Bates - Area Director, Oklahoma City OK Area Office
- J.D. Danni - Safety and Health Specialist, OSHA Region 8
- Dr. Michael Hodgson - Director, Office of Occupational Medicine and Nursing, Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management (DTSEM)
- Todd Jordan - Director, Health Response Team, Salt Lake City Technical Center, DTSEM
- Barnett Lawrence - Safety and Occupational Health Specialist, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances, Directorate of Cooperative and State Programs (DCSP)
- Mike Lynham - Assistant Regional Administrator, OSHA Region 8
- Mike Marshall - Safety Engineer, Office of Chemical Process Safety and Enforcement Initiatives, Directorate of Enforcement Programs
- Marianne McGee - Compliance Assistance Specialist, Corpus Christi TX Area Office
- David Caruso - Program Coordinator and Senior Health Communication Specialist, Oil and Gas Extraction Program
- Ryan Hill - Program Manager, Oil and Gas Extraction Program
- Kyla Retzer - Epidemiologist, NIOSH Western States Office
National STEPS Network
- Rick Ingram - BP; Chairperson of National STEPS Network
- Jerry Jacobs - Patterson UTI; Co-Chairperson of National STEPS Network
- Joyce Ryel - Complete Production; President of AESC; Co-Chairperson of National STEPS Network
- Paul Breaux - Berkley Oil & Gas Specialty Services
- Elizabeth Haley - PEC Premier
- Kenny Jordan - Executive Director, Association of Energy Service Companies (AESC)
- Liz Lawhorn-Cryder - Oil and energy professional
- Josh Ortega - BGP Billiton; SafelandUSA Chair
- David Pickard - XTO
- Jim Sierra - Texas Oil and Gas Association
- Dean Wingo - University of Texas - Arlington
- Anthony Zacniewski - Bandera Drilling
II. Implementation Team Meetings
- May 11, 2016
- November 29, 2016
The Alliance participants also met numerous times during this period to work on specific projects, including the Emerging Issues group, Oil and Gas Safety Conference planning and implementation, Step Up for Safety planning, NIOSH NORA Council meetings, and OSHA Oil and Gas Well Servicing and Drilling eTool meetings.
The following table summarizes the Alliance’s activities in support of the goals in the Alliance agreement.
IV. Upcoming Milestones
In the next year, the Alliance participants will implement the renewal agreement and work plan. For example, the Alliance participants will:
- Complete their review and suggested updates to the OSHA Oil and Gas Well Drilling and Servicing eTool.
- Develop a hazard alert on mobile engines as ignition sources.
- Continue to disseminate the hazard alerts, including developing Spanish versions.
- Disseminate other information developed by NIOSH, OSHA, and industry to employers and workers.
Report prepared by: Barnett Lawrence, Safety & Occupational Health Specialist, DCSP/OOSA
December 27, 2016